Table of contents
In the digital era, readers have become accustomed to digesting information in bite-sized pieces. This is especially true with content that is saturated with information.
With so many blog posts to read every day, readers have turned to sites that provide short and to-the-point articles. These are known as listicles, and they’re one of the most popular types of blog posts.
As per Semrush, the most popular type of content among bloggers are “how-to” articles (77%), followed by listicles (57%), and news and trends (47%).
Listicles are everywhere. From social media to magazines, listicles have become a staple for many online content creators. They’re also known as “blog posts with a list at the end.” These posts consist of a list followed by a brief paragraph of summary explaining each item. These posts are quick and simple to write, but why are they so popular? Let’s take a look at the listicle blog format and explore the pros and cons of this content type.
What is a Listicle Blog?
A listicle is a type of blog post that consists of several short pointers on a subject.
Typically, the points are arranged in list form with numbered subheadings and images. The articles are usually written in a concise and to-the-point manner. In short, a listicle is a type of list-based blog post that is structured like a blog outline. The “list” at the beginning of the post is followed by brief paragraphs of “summary.”
A listicle is a type of blog post that includes a list at the end of the article. The listicle format is also known as a “blog list” or “articles with a list.” Usually, they are short, consisting of three to five items. Listicle blogs are typically accompanied by a set of tags. These tags help Google understand the content type, making it easier for the search engine to index the blog.
In addition, it also makes it easier for readers to find related posts, as some of the tags used for listicle blogs are related to specific topics. A listicle is often used as a means to summarize and explain a wide range of topics quickly and to a wider audience. It is also used to promote products or services, inform readers about events, or provide advice on a topic.
Tips for writing listicle blogs
- Write for the reader: You want to make sure your readers are kept engaged, so try to write in a way that makes sense to them. If they aren’t interested in your topic, they won’t be interested in reading your post either. If you want to gain an audience, you have to make them your audience in the first place. Write to inform and entertain, but also write to educate and inspire.
- Use bullet points: Bullet points are an easy way to create a list. You can either create a bulleted list for each item in the list or create a numbered list for each item in the list. Bullet points make the blog post look more organized and is super easy to read.
- Break up any lengthy lists: Long lists can be hard to follow, especially if you have the urge to read them from start to finish. Try breaking up your long lists into multiple shorter lists. This will make them easier to read and understand.
- Include visuals: While information is important, sometimes visuals make it easier to understand. There are websites like Photosonic that help you create amazing images. All you need is to enter in a few keywords and it will generate images for you that you can post on blogs and social media too.
- Link to other posts: While you want your readers to click on your links, you also want them to come back and read more. Include links to other posts in your list that give context or an expanded view of the topic. Plus, including links also helps in SEO.
- Give a call to action: You want your readers to take action after reading your post, whether that is signing up for a newsletter, buying a product, or sending a comment. This will encourage readers to read more of your posts and be community members.
- Be consistent: Consistent listicle writing will help your readers engage with you more. Try to post once a week and stick to your topic. Don't be afraid to keep your posts short and sweet if this is what works for your blog.
Benefits of writing listicle blogs
- Quick to write: Creating a list post is quick and simple to write. You can create a post in just a few minutes, which is much quicker than creating a long-form article.
- Quick to publish: You only have a limited amount of time to publish your blog posts, and there is no need to wait for them to be edited. Make sure you are only publishing the best of your posts, and schedule them for publication.
- Quick to read: Many content creators find listicle writing to be quite enjoyable. Although you may have to wait for your blog posts to be published, there is a quicker and more enjoyable read than a long-form article.
- Easy to promote: You only have to promote your listicles on social media. You don’t have to create ads for your articles, just take a few minutes to include a link to your post.
- Easy to gain an audience: There are many content marketing strategies that revolve around listicles. If you are just getting started, creating listicles is a great way to gain an audience.
Why Are Listicle Blogs So Popular?
The listicle format isn’t a unique content type. It has been used for a long time in print media, books, and even television programs. The listicle blog format has recently become more prevalent on the internet due to its simplicity and the ease with which it can be created.
The short and sweet nature of listicles appeals to both readers and writers. Readers appreciate the ease with how they can quickly digest information. Wondering how long it takes to write a blog post? Check this!
However, it is important to note that while they are easy to read, they do not provide the level of detail that more in-depth articles would. Simply put, the articles are not meant to be comprehensive. Instead, they are meant to provide a concise overview of a particular topic. Want to write amazing listicles? Try Writesonic!
Examples of Listicle Blogs
These are some of the most popular listicles in the industry today:
- The best snowboard tricks of all time.
- 10 things you didn’t know about oranges.
- 25 ways to be a more productive person.
The world of digital content is constantly changing, and so are the types of articles being published on blogs. As readers, we must be able to keep up with the latest trends to stay informed, but this can be challenging. With all the information out there, it’s almost impossible to understand everything and know what’s true and what’s not.
Writing listicles is a great way to expand your content marketing strategy. They are quick and easy to create, and they will help you gain an audience and expand your reach quickly. If you want to write listicles but aren’t sure where to start, take these tips into consideration.